Future Technology
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

University of Southeastern Philippines Institute of Computing Future Technology Students under Sir Mark Buladaco

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011)

Go down 
+29
Tanya Clarissa G. Amancio
Joverly A. Gonzales
Jezreel Jyl P. Hilado
jealou azucena
ailaine adaptar
venus millena
Gabrielle Anne Rae Deseo
Sheila Capacillo
Norena T. Nicdao
Ariel B. Serenado
Jerusalem M. Alvaira
Michelle Adlawan
Brian C. Namuag
gleizelle jen dieparine
Dolorosa Mancera
Kris Vincent L. Plariza
Ilyn P. Mapalo
John Paul Pulido
Maria Theresa F. Rulete
Honey Lynne Accion
Joseph Ethel Valdez
Stihl Lhyn Samonte
Shiela Marie Pinili Nara
athina alorro
sharlyn joy pines
Neil Rey Niere
shane sacramento
creza_jill_bulacito
MVBuladaco
33 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MVBuladaco

Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011) Empty
PostSubject: Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011)   Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 12:11 pm

Watch at least two of the following movies:
  1. Die Hard 4
  2. Wall e
  3. 9
  4. Surrogates
  5. The fifth element
  6. The Island
  7. Babylon AD
  8. I, Robot
  9. Equilibrium
  10. Minority Report

• Make a comprehensive reaction paper for the two movies in no less than 300 words each.
  • Make a comparative analysis of the two movies you chosen.

Back to top Go down
creza_jill_bulacito

creza_jill_bulacito

PostSubject: Case 3   Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 7:37 pm

1. Die Hard 4
2. Wall e
3. 9
4. Surrogates
5. The fifth element
6. The Island
7. Babylon AD
8. I, Robot
9. Equilibrium
10. Minority Report

I watch almost all of the movies listed above such as the minority report starred by Tom Cruise, the I Robot, surrogates, the fifth element which was one of my favorites back then and so on and so fort. Well, making a comprehensive reaction I chose the fifth element and the Wall E.

The Fifth Element

The fifth element was a movie about a girl which is the fifth element which was played by Mila Jovovich and the one searching for her was Bruce Willis. I was so young when I had watched this movie so I could only remember few things about it but it was a good movie. The flying cars and cool buildings was one of the things I could not forget about this movie and to think this movie was actually 13 years ago or so. But It was a really good movie the effects, the plot and the actors of course. It has a medieval futuristic approach which was very cool and I think it is a very unique movie. The story was actually looking for the fifth element which was told that Leeloo(Mila) the only person could complete the elements and save the world. So, the taxi driver I forgot his name played by Bruce Willis helped her from her capturers which has interest on her for ruling the world. Actually, they’ve had waited for the evil thingy on destroying the world and only her could stop it. Bruce was hunted by the guard and trying to kill him for helping out Leeloo. Both of the characters were fighting for their lives and for everyone’s sake because their enemies were not only human beings but also aliens from other planets. The action scenes were pretty awesome and very heart pounding. It is also a love story; the characters fell in love on each other as you could see in the movie they’re saving each other’s lives. It is an enough proof that they do have romantic interest on each other. Even though the movie was forgotten or have been out of the topic for movies nowadays does have heavy graphical animations like transformers and many more.

Wall E

Wall E was one of my favorite Disney animations aside from the Up movie. I really love Disney animations because I was a big fan of them. Even back then when they still have those 2D animations. So, the movie was funny yet very heart warming. One thing about the movie was it doesn’t focus on what the wall E do it was about the way he feels and dreamed. The story was basically about a robot that has the ability to love someone. Wall E was really cute and showed how to be loyal to someone he loves. Also, in the movie showed how the technology changed and affect people on their daily lives, the way they think and their current lifestyle. Humans as shown in the movie were all fat and can’t do things even walking. Spend their time on eating, sitting with a remote control chair and having conversations on their hologram screens. Wall E was the only robot left on earth, actually he was a robot design to clean out trash because earth was full of trash on that time. He was lonely and he loves to watch human TV shows and movies and been acting them. He loves to dance too. But one day, there was a space ship landed on earth with a robot inside named EVE which was programmed to look if there is still a possibility of life there. So, curious wall e following the robot on its mission on earth and then he fell in love with her. Both of them became friends. But Eve found what she have been looking for a life form, which is a plant which wall e have been taking care of. So, there Eve went back to the spaceship and launch to live earth and send the message. Wall E looked for her to the other place where Eve went he started the adventure not just saving Eve but also mankind.

Comparisons

The two movies basically about futuristic views about what would be the future even though it is all fictional movies and have different stories but one of the main points of the two movies is about technology change and what would be its effects on us. Though, technology has it good points but still warnings should be mind because as we all always say prevention is better than cure.

Back to top Go down
shane sacramento

PostSubject: Re: Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011)   Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 9:37 pm

I was a bit worried when I first saw this case study, because I am not into movies really. Luckily, I have watched two movies on the list, which are, Wall-E and Nine.

Wall-e is a 3d animation movie that features the wonder of robots. I find this movie really amazing, because even with the slightest words that are spoken by the characters, the movie was indeed very understandable and amazingly heart-warming with Wall-e's eyes. The story was about the earth being abandoned due to the doings of human being. Currently, they are housed on a large spaceship in space. They are indulged with the service of robots that is able to do anything for them. The humans get fatter and fatter that they even find it hard to stand on their own two feet. The Earth was left as a dump site where Wall-E (Waste Allocation Load Lifter-Earth Class) was left behind to collect scrappy metals and clean the planet Earth. As time goes by Wall-Es had stopped working, leaving just Wall-E and a cockroach. Wall-E likes to collect things and watch romantic musicals just like humans do. One day, Eve arrives and he falls in love. Eve was programmed to be there with a mission. Through out the movie, you will only hear words that are spoken by the characters through the form of Eve, which Wall-e pronounced as Eeeee-vah. Well, this what makes the movie very amazing because even without words spoken directly Wall-e's eyes are enough to express the feelings and emotions on the movie.

The movie was a bit sad upon realizing how human beings are bad enough to abandon their home due to their own doings. Human beings have given so much pride of technology and forgot how the Earth hurts everytime a batch of pollution is exiled from factories to make machines that are able to ease the jobs of human beings. After the Earth has given the people what they need they even have the guts to abandon earth. The beast part of the movie though is when people have come to realize that there is no better place than home. They have come to realize that Earth is incomparable and there is no other planet that is able to give human beings air to breathe to live.

Nine is also a 3d animation film that features robots. The human race was destroyed by robots that was made by the human being itself, well that's karma maybe.

The story was about dolls that are made by a scientist. These dolls was given life through some spells, in which they were tasked to finish a mission, in which to destroy the robot who ended the life of the human race due to its revolt against its maker. The robot is a specialized to to make robots.

The movie begins with an explanation from a scientist, delivering a brief stories about the dangers of man and the progress of technology, specifically robots. Then 9 awakens in a burned out lab, next to the body of the said scientist, his creator and the inventor of the robot. 9 don't have the ability to talk. 9 met 2, another doll, who gives him a voice box so he can talk, and 2 started to tell 9 about what happened and what's happening.

Back to top Go down
Neil Rey Niere

Neil Rey Niere

PostSubject: Case Study 3    Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 11:22 pm

1. Die Hard 4
2. Wall e
3. 9
4. Surrogates
5. The fifth element
6. The Island
7. Babylon AD
8. I, Robot
9. Equilibrium
10. Minority Report

Surrogates

If we go by the movies, virtual reality and artificial intelligence are the two great progressive leaps that will ultimately destroy the human race. Because of our vanity and our fear, we'll take them to extremes that will eventually enslave us -- mentally, physically, and emotionally. In the world of Surrogates there is little crime, no disease, and no racism. Of course, everyone's surrogates are also model perfect and excessively superficial. Our few glimpses of the real people behind these avatars, hopelessly addicted to their alternative selves, are not pretty. While their highly polished and perfected 'others' live out their fantasy existences, the real citizens of this designer dyspepsia remain holed up in their homes unable to interact on an honest and open level. Instead of being freed, they are even more trapped than before. Still, with intelligent science fiction in scant supply these days and Mostow clearly toning down the hyperactive stunt work to get to the true meaning of his movie, Surrogates acquits itself admirably.

Wall e

Nine is the youngest, probably the smartest, and certainly the most daring, leading the others, against #1's wishes, to poke around the ruins. These look left over from a city from the past, not the future, and a 1940ish newsreel reports on a devastating global war triggered by a Hitleresque dictator. Was the Beast left behind to wipe out any survivors, and assure final victory even in the absence of victors? Such questions, I submit, are intriguing. But the dialog is mostly simplified Action Speak, with barked warnings and instructions and strategy debates of the most rudimentary kind. Since this movie is clearly targeted not at kiddies but at teens and up, is it now Hollywood theory that eloquence and intelligence are no longer useful in action dialogue? One of the benefits of the pre-CGI era was that although action scenes might be manifestly artificial, they had to be composed of details that were visually intelligible. Modern CGI artists, intoxicated by their godlike command of imagery, get carried away and add confusing complexity. If I were pressed to provide the cops with a detailed description of the Beast, the best I could do would be: "You'll know it when you see it. Also, it has a big glowing red eye."

Comparison
The two movies I chose are typically acted with different aspect of human robot. These movies were created in a different plot but with the same main point which is the reality of technology as it changes time by time. As it passes time by time, disadvantages and advantages takes place .
Back to top Go down
sharlyn joy pines

sharlyn joy pines

PostSubject: Re: Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011)   Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 1:55 pm

The Fifth Element, I, Robot and Minority Reports, these are the three films that I’ve watched from the list, and that was years ago, I guess. But fortunately, I can still remember their storyline since I like all of these films. While I have to choose two films to write a comprehensive reaction, preferably that would be ‘The Fifth Element’ and ‘I, Robot’.

The Fifth Element

This movie is for me, a very futuristic one. Yes, indeed because the film mostly set during the twenty-third century. I cannot remember names from the story. All I know when I was watching was that the driver was Bruce Willis and the fifth element was Milla. I could remember how life in the movie is fast-paced and science-fiction devices abound, the portrayal of futuristic New York as a den of flying cars and towering, glutted buildings and everything that seems impossible and not existing. As for the actors and actresses, Milla, besides the fact that she’s really hot, she is actually really good in this movie. You can find the panic wit which she deals with her resurrection shows a range. I think she’s really cool in this movie While Bruce has got the working-class hero. I think he was the perfect choice for his character because he can easily blend the humor and action and even a little bit of tenderness in to a hero we automatically identify with. Another interesting thing I noticed in Fifth Element was how many different people claimed to be, were mistaken for, or where offered a chance to be the character Bruce has playing. As for the story, this is science fiction. The story itself is very traditional in a sci-fi/fantasy realm. There was a questing hero searching for an artifact which will save the world. However, the movie has its own twist. The artifact is a person. And the hero, by falling in love with that artifact, becomes part of that artifact that is needed to save the world. And the fact that love is the fifth element, while sentimental and melodramatic, is a good idea. It just shouldn’t have been so obvious. When it comes to the special effects, well, pretty cool even though you can tell that most of them are done on a computer. But of course, since I was very young back then, it was totally amazing.

I, Robot

I love this movie. It was very sentimental and dramatic. Just can’t imagine the whole thing where a robot made of metals and hardwired and everything will have the feeling of love. How fantastic. What make me appreciate the movie were the futuristic scenes. You can see the world outside Will Smith’s place is a futuristic one, filled with millions of servant robots caring for all manner of menial tasks; delivering packages, walking dogs, and picking up trash. But he was a police detective who dislikes the rapid advancement of technology, including robots. The story was about the robots being perfect helpers, hardwired into their brains are the said three laws that make them utterly incapable of harming a human. Though no robot has ever broken a single law and hurt anyone, still, Will doesn’t trust them. In fact he hates them. On his way to work he sees a robot running down the street with a purse and gives chase, automatically assuming the robot is a thief though no robot has ever committed a robbery. He tackles the automaton, only to discover the robot is racing to bring its owner her inhaler, a mistake which lands him in trouble with his police chief. Remarkably things look up when the robots come to life. However the film manages the rare feat of making a robot seem both human and sympathetic. But still, the movie maintained packing a nice mix of action, explosions, and brains. The ideas aren’t strictly fresh, some of the plot devices are a little too convenient, and yes, Will Smith is for the most part still doing the same old stuff you’d expect from Will Smith. He could easily have made his character something special. As is, he shows enough flashes of intensity and grit to keep things on track. Though many critics say that this movie is quite far from its original story, I, Robot is solid and exciting entertainment, well worth a lingering look. The special effects were, quite good, although the robots had an overtly CGI look that detracted slightly from the overall experience.

The Fifth Element and I Robot

Both movies feature fictitious setting, vehicle concepts and created some of the most memorable modes of transportation for characters to drive, hover or fly around in, literally moving the story along. It only means that future cars will not have to stay grounded, it will soon fly. Though both showcase different stories, it has the same futuristic concepts.

Last edited by sharlyn joy pines on Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
athina alorro

athina alorro

PostSubject: Re: Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011)   Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 1:57 pm

The movies are probably one of the most effective and entertaining media that portray what does the unknown future will look like. Based on the movies to choose from, I have chosen Wall-E and Minority Report primarily because I enjoyed watching them.

The following is a SWOT analysis based on my judgment after I watched each movie that I have chosen.

Wall-E (2008)

Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011) Wall_e-scenes

Strengths:
I think that one of the advantages of the movie Wall-E is its exceptional animation. It is obvious that the animation was intricately made because the details were great. I also commend how they used light effects to make the animation seem real especially in those scenes where WALL-E was roaming the earth. In general, I find the main robot characters very adorable and there were few funny scenes in the movie which gave me a good laugh.

Weakness:
I find the story of the movie cute and sweet but not that spectacular. The story was touching but it is somehow predictable especially towards the end. I practically predicted that Wall-E will somehow regain its memory of EVE because the movie gave me feeling of a ‘happy ending’ even from the start. I also find it odd that the main robot characters lacked the speech communication capability and all they can do is beep and make emotional expressions.

Opportunities:
This movie has somehow set the standards of full-length animation films that I already saw. In relation to technology, the movie portrayed the possibility of robots in the future to develop human emotions such as love. The movie also portrayed optimism for the future of human beings that will attempt to restore the earth.

Threats:
In relation to technology, the movie gave us a glimpse of what the world will look like if we will continue to abuse our environment. Environmental degradation is a possible effect that comes with technological advancement. Technology is also being projected as the villain of the story. The movie presented the scary possibility that future robots will come to betray their human masters. The movie also featured the future humans as lazy beings to the point where they are even too fat to walk and they don’t even have the strength notice the things around them.

Minority Report (2002)

Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011) Minority_report_intelligent_billboards

Strengths:
I think one of the strength of the movie is the story itself. I find the story very interesting and it kept me guessing the whole time I was watching it. The movie was generally action-packed and was really thrilling to watch. Technology-wise, I can tell that most technologies used in the movie were very well researched and realistic to the point where they can be probably seen in the today and in the near future. Some of the realistic future technologies that were featured was Gesture-based Computer Interfaces, Flexible Display and Identity-Detecting Advertisement Cameras. It is also important to note that the movie became a success because the director was no less than Steven Spielberg and the main character was played by Tom Cruise who is one of the most acclaimed actors in Hollywood.

Weakness:
I find the movie to be a little darker in terms of cinematography to the point that it’s near black and white which I understand that it is part of the atmosphere of the movie. Although it is part of the main plot, I oppose to the idea of convicting someone who haven’t committed a crime yet. I am also opposed with the idea that our future is determined and there is no such thing as free will.

Opportunities:
There were promising technologies that I would love to see in the future such as Guided cars that would run up in the side of the buildings and would regulate traffic and also 3D holograms.

Threats:
One of the threats that I have found in the movie is the notion of lesser privacy will be given to the public in order for the government to protect us. The possibility of humans to abuse a very powerful technology such as the one featured in the movie, which is the Pre-Crime, if it were to exist in the future.

Both Wall-E and Minority Report are futuristic movies but are created with a different medium. The most obvious difference of the two movies that I have chosen is the fact that Wall-E is animation film while Minority Report is portrayed by real people. Both movies also describe the future but on a different timeline. Minority report portrays the very near future while Wall-E is in the very distant one. The two movies also gave out a very contrasting atmosphere while watching them. Wall-E gives out a very sweet and funny feeling while I was watching it while Minority report gives out a dark and thrilling atmosphere.

Back to top Go down
http://www.athina09.blogspot.com
Shiela Marie Pinili Nara

PostSubject: Re: Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011)   Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 2:17 pm

Wall-E and Minority Report
Movie Analysis

SYNOPSIS AND REACTION

Wall-E is a computer-animated science fiction film by Andrew Stanton. Wall-E is a robot which collects trash on the abandoned earth. In 2805, living in the outer space facilitated by BnL(Buy and Large) corporation since the earth is already toxic. One day, WALL-E discovers a seedling growing among the trash and brings it home. EVE on the other hand is a sleek, clean robot deployed on earth to search for the signs of life. When they became friends, Wall-E brings EVE to see the plant. EVE stores the plant and sends signal to the. The ship(with Wall-E struggling ) collects EVE and returns to the Axiom. On the Axiom, humans became obese and lazy. Auto, who is a pilot trusted by the captain stole the plant. The plant and Wall-E is to self-destruct in a pod but both escaped safely. Wall-E is broken so EVE brings him to earth and there, she repaired him. Wall-E lost his memory but reboots when EVE kissed him. In the end, they help humans in restoring the earth.

The movie tells us that if technology is not properly used, it will become a villain in our lives. Instead of helping us to nurture our nature, it makes us lazy .It is just amazing that robots such as Wall-E and EVE fall in love. Since Love is rooted from the mind and soul they don’t have it. They are programmed to do specific tasks. It shows that love conquers it all, even programming. Aside from technology, the movie tells us our future if we don’t care our environment. Certainly, if don’t conserve it, the earth will be toxic.

Minority report is a science fiction film by Steven Spielberg. In the story set in 2054, there will be "PreCrime", a specialized police department which apprehends criminals based on foreknowledge provided by three psychics called "precogs". During the audit of PreCrime force, the precogs predict that Anderton(member of the force who is under psychoactive drug addiction) will murder Leo Crow. Anderton believes that he is only set up by Witwer so he hides the case. Dr. Iris Hineman, the lead researcher of the PreCrime technology to Anderton that the three precogs may see different visions of the future, and that the system only provides data on the two reports which agree; the "minority report," which Agatha(a precog) witnessed is discarded. Later, Anderton kidnaps Agatha, disables her hive mind and shuts down the system. Agatha is hacked and extracted her vision of Crow's murder which agrees with other precogs confirming no “minority report.” Anderton later realized that he is targeted because of his knowledge of the murder of Anne Lively, mother of Agatha. Witwer doubted Crow’s murder and believed that the system is manipulated. Burgess kills him and frames Anderton for it. Anderton’s wife accidentally known the responsible for Lively’s murder which Anderton plays back at the party of Burgess. When Burgess catches up to Anderton, he is under a situation in which: if he kills Anderton, he proves the system works at the cost of a life sentence, while if he doesn’t, the system doesn’t work and the PreCrime division will be shut down. Burgess kills himself and the PreCrime program is shut down.

The movie shows us the realistic view of the future. In fact the technologies shown already exist and some are already developing. Some of these technologies include Multi-touch interfaces, Retina scanners, Insect robots, facial recognition advertising, crime prediction software and electronic paper among others. Because of its more realistic view, the movie is presented as if it is in the present with glimpse of the future. It is just threatening to note the “loss of privacy” as the movie presented however it is amazing when billboard identity your demography and talks to you personally.

COMPARISON OF WALL-E AND MINORITY REPORT

• Wall-E and Minority Report are both science-fiction film
• Wall-E and Minority Report shows the future of the earth.
• Wall-E is set on 2805 while Minority Report is on 2054. Apparently, the latter is set on the near future that is why it is more realistic than the former.
• Wall-E presented robotics while Minority showcases the future of varied technologies.
• Wall-E is animated in that it is more like a cartoon while Minority Report is realistically developed.
• Wall-E is starred by a robot while Minority report is starred by a member of specialized force.
• Wall-E’s theme is love of robots while is the debate on free-will vs. determinism.
• Wall-E’s concern is on what the earth and humans would be if the environment is not conserved and the technology is not properly used. Minority report concerns whether humans create their destiny or the destiny creates them. Also it shows the disadvantages of reading your future and your eyes, “the loss of privacy (you watch TV, TV watches you)” and the “the loss of free-will”
• Etc.

References:
Wikipedia
Movies- Wall-E and Minority Report

My blog:
atthewritecorner.blogspot.com

[b][center]
Back to top Go down
Stihl Lhyn Samonte

Stihl Lhyn Samonte

PostSubject: Re: Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011)   Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 3:16 pm

WALL-E

WALL-E (Waste Allocation Load Lifter Earth-Class), is a 2008 American computer-animated science fiction film produced by Pixar Animation Studios and released by Walt Disney Pictures. The film is being directed by Andrew Stanton. The story follows a robot named WALL-E, who is designed to clean up a waste-covered Earth far in the future. He eventually falls in love with another robot named EVE, and follows her into outer space on an adventure that changes the destiny of both his kind and humanity.

WALL-E is the very last little robot on Earth. His job was to help clean up the planet Earth. In year 2805, the world is filled with garbage and empty of plant and animal life, so that everyone had to leave the planet Earth and for the moment the humans will live in outer space on spaceship Axiom temporarily while the robots called "WALL-E" to clean up the trash and make planet Earth livable. The cleanup program failed but only one WALL-E unit remains active and shown collecting various keepsakes and knickknacks from the trash and doing his duty all alone.

One day, WALL-E discovers a seedling growing among the garbage and brings it home. But the story is not a story about a science fiction but also it’s a love story, because WALL-E falls in love with EVE, an advanced robot sent from the BnL starliner Axiom with a directive to search for signs of life on Earth and she’s left there to check on and see how things are going and WALL-E absolutely falls in love with her.

On the Axiom, the ship's human passengers have suffered from severe bone loss and become morbidly obese after centuries of living in microgravity and relying on the ship's automated systems. WALL-E follows EVE to the bridge of the ship where the captain learns that by scanning EVE's plant sample with the ship's holo-detector as a sign of Earth being habitable again, the ship will make a hyperjump to Earth and allow its passengers to recolonize. However, Auto has the plant stolen as part of a classified final directive given to keep humanity away from Earth as it was wrongly deemed unsustainable 700 years ago. But WALL-E and EVE successfully found the plant from AUTO and EVE places the plant in the holo-detector, releasing WALL-E and sending the ship back to Earth. Although, WALL-E was critically crushed in keeping AUTO from collapsing the platform.

When they reach Earth, EVE rushes WALL-E back to his garage and repairs him. Unfortunately, WALL-E's memory is erased and EVE gives WALL-E a farewell "kiss" which causes an electric spark that reboots WALL-E's memory and restores him to his usual self. WALL-E and EVE happily reunite and join the humans and robots in restoring Earth's environment.

9 is a 2005 computer animated short film by Shane Acker as a student project at the UCLA Animation Workshop. The movie starts off with The Scientist (Alan Oppenheimer) making a sapient ragdoll, on whose back he writes "9". After an apocalyptic war between human and machines, the world is completely destroyed and without human life.

In a world destroyed in a war between man and machine, a hand-stitched doll with the number 9 written on its back comes to life. The world he has awakened in is frightening, but he quickly learns that he is not alone and that there are others like him, also with a single digit written on their back. The first one he encounters is 2 who tells him something of what happened to the world. 2 is also thrilled with the disk 9 is carrying, one with three unique symbols on the front. 9 soon learns that the disk and some of the other dolls who are prepared to die for the good of humankind may be the last hope for man's salvation.

Comparisons

Both Wall-e and 9 are computer-animated science fiction film, the two movies are futuristic movies and although both have special fiction but still the major events talking about the high technology and obtained same robotics features. Though, Wall-e is a lovable robot and 9 is a ragdoll, but still both characters are prepared to die for the good of humankind.

mY bLog:http://stihlyn.blogspot.com Arrow

Back to top Go down
Joseph Ethel Valdez

Joseph Ethel Valdez

PostSubject: Re: Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011)   Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 5:02 pm

I, Robot

I, Robot is a science-fiction mix of action film. The story takes place in 2035 Chicago, in a world where robot usage is commonplace. Robots are used as servants and for various public services. Everyone in futuristic society believes robots must follow the three rules talks about robot may not injure a human being, obey orders and protect its own existence. Detective Spooner's (Will Smith) mission is to confirm his prejudice rather than investigate a crime. The suspicious and overly emotional Detective Spooner's desire to prove that robots are a problem is shaped by an experience in his past. Detective Spooner rebuffs robots because of their lack of emotional capacity. Nearly one hundred years of popular depictions of robots generally characterise them as logical and compelled to act on the basis of probability and without regard for human emotion. What differences between humans and machines is that the key themes in science fiction. A central feature of the discourse of human and machine difference is characterised as the emotional element. The point is that the emotional element, particularly in humans, is not so significantly subordinated to other elements of human cognition, such as reason.

Indeed the movie I, ROBOT reflects contemporary scientific developments. The publicity asks us to, Imagine a world where motorcycles drive themselves, robots conduct symphony orchestras and an animal's thought patterns can move a robot. It conveys that in the near future robots will be a trusted part of our everyday life. Every family will have one or more to do the task. They will clean our homes, deliver our packages, and walk our pets - even care for our children. All throughout wrapped in a detective plot full of fast- die-hard action features an unexpected yet logical flaw in an apparently perfect system that speculates about the future.

Wall E

WALL-E (Waste Allocator Load Lifter - Earth Class) is a computer-animated tale about a wide-eyed robot who is programmed to collect, compact and pile trash so that it's out of the way to clean up a waste-covered Earth. The story set in the year is 2700 where planet Earth has long been uninhabitable. A spaceship lands and drops off a white, pod-like robot named EVE who shoots at everything she sees and searches around in vain for some mysterious object. WALL-E follows her aboard the ship. Wall E found out that the human consumers who have escaped Earth have residents of the starships have grown bloated beyond recognition on a lifestyle of all-you-can-eat fast food and hover-capable chairs that leave movement utterly. Humans have fled in luxurious spaceships where their every whim is satisfied by robots. The Captain of the ship sheds his passive life and takes an active role, eventually tangling with the autopilot and flipping the switch to manual and EVE places the plant in the holo-detector, releasing WALL-E and sending the ship back to Earth.EVE brings WALL-E's body back to his home where she successfully repairs and reactivates him but WALL-E's memory is erased. So EVA so give WALL E a farewell "kiss" which causes an electric spark and restores his memory to what it is. WALL-E and EVE happily reunite and they join together to restore the Earth’s Environment.

This film is the logical conclusion of trying to meet our every need such that we are no longer required to do anything that makes us fat and lazy. The garbage we generate and don't recycle has to go somewhere that cause our environment polluted. And in the end, the realization that there is an unmet need that a desolate world needs to be rebuilt and kept safe that gives these people a brand new perspective on life.

Comparison

The two movies I chose are both show what will earth in the future. I, Robot take place in the year 2035 while Wall E takes place in the year 2700. The two movies portray different category, I, Robot portray real people and Wall E portrays through an animation but both of them illustrate how the robotics features will aid our everyday cost of living. These two movies remind us where the boundaries are.

my BloG:http://jevaldez.blogspot.com/2011/01/i-robot-i-robot-is-science-fiction-mix.html Arrow
Back to top Go down
Honey Lynne Accion

PostSubject: Re: Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011)   Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 5:15 pm

In the movie “Wall E", I am really fascinated on its story line because it manifest the reality of the world in the future through the uncontrolled misbehavior of humans in the planet. The movie's message totally upbringing a big impact to humanity which I found to be its strength. Whatever denials we done, truly is we committed a mistake to our own land. The weak side of the movie I think would be is when people are becoming dependent to technology. I preferably want to think people as a leader for nurturing the environment and for the whole being as well. Since life on earth has no permanent, the only opportunity to longer that life is to create a difference and it should start on our own self. Threats such that new technologies are continuously invading the world and we never know what great things this device can do to us maybe a good one or otherwise destroy humanities. The movie really moves me having Wall E represents a good kind of robot wherein he is like assigned to restore the image and beauty of the earth. This robot seems to show that even though some of the waste comes from technology, the technology itself can control or manage it. I think it is not really the technology who gives problem to us; it relies on how the person uses the device. In other words, people must not think that technology is made for our own happiness. Unfortunately, it turns out that we are already abusing it thus affecting the balance of our own environment. If still we are doing it again and again somehow our world will turn into nothing else you might want to live on another planet like what is in the movie. The real meaning the movie conveys is just by means of valuing the creation of earth even if there are new inventions to come.

Another movie which entitled "Surrogates" seems a story that is looking the side of a future where humans have to depend on technology before they may perform their job. The strength of the film is that it showcases the damage done to a surrogate will not be felt by its cover thus creating a peaceful world free from fear, pain and crime. On the other hand, I find it not a good representation to humanity. This film seems to show people's weaknesses, afraid that something may happen to them so they rely their own self by means of a surrogate. Fortunately, the only fortune made with in the movie is when they inserted those people who are against the use of surrogates or also known as The Prophet thus creating opportunity for a well-rounded community. Moreover, this kind of film will create threat if people will entrust their own selves to surrogates. The movie is like trying to say that people must not permit technology to experiment human’s body. In other words, being controlled or perhaps use as an instrument. The film seems to inform human being that technology is not giving you life of contentment. It is just an aide for you to make things easier but not to the fact that you might want something greater from it such that passion of ruling or changing the face of the world. It appears to be a powerful imagination but the thing is its true. Technology happens to change our behaviors, value, perceptions and beliefs if we still remain uncontrolled of the benefits and great thing it offers to us.

In comparison of the two movies I have watched, both were introducing high technology in the future wherein robots embrace the whole scope of the story. In other words, people behind the creation of the movie finds that technology is a great influence to humanities nowadays so if they tend to look on the side of our future, what more from technologies can be! It just trying to say that technology could be a solution to our problem or worst than we expect.

myblog: http://cshoney017.blogspot.com/2011/01/technology-behind-movies.html

Last edited by Honey Lynne Accion on Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Maria Theresa F. Rulete

Maria Theresa F. Rulete

PostSubject: Re: Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011)   Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 7:21 pm

I have chosen to watch the movies Equilibrium and The Fifth Element and below are the reactions that I have on watching those movies.

Equilibrium

If you would try to watch this movie, I think that you would think that this movie is kinda boring because when I watched it, I felt like I wanted to click stop on the video player and try another movie. But when I started to concentrate on it, I have realized that this movie is worth watching for especially that it talks about how would the future be or how would we live in the near future. I felt very excited during the middle part of the movie since it was when the main actor had stopped taking his Prozium, a liquid drug that could stop feeling emotions, and later felt the feelings a normal human being has. It was so pitiful for those people who were executed just because they have felt emotions. In the movie, the people in a place called Libria believes that human emotion is responsible for man's inhumanity to man, and made the new leaders ban all materials deemed likely to stimulate strong emotions, including art, music, and literature. Those materials are rated "EC-10" for "emotional content" and are typically destroyed by immediate incineration. It was very overwhelming to watch the part where the main actor had decided to continue not taking the Prozium and be with those people who are resistant to the policies existing in Libria, which they are called “The Underground” since they were living under the grounds of Libria. Since the main actor is Libria’s highest ranking cleric, it is expected that he is well-trained on a deadly martial art of Gun Kata, an art which teaches users to predict the actions of opponents during firearm combat. And by that, he killed those people behind the Tetragrammaton Council who were governing the city of Libria and all became well.

The Fifth Element

When I started to watch this movie, I remembered that I have already seen this a very long time ago and I think I was not able to understand the details of the movie since I was just a kid on that time. I can say that during the first part of the movie, I already felt excited and interested on watching this since I love watching movies involving the universe, astronomy and the like. The main goal of the main actor and actress in this movie is to save the world. At first, Dallas did not want to believe that his mission is to save the world. When he won a ticket on a contest which has a price of having a vacation on Fhloston Paradise, he never expected that aliens would be there interrupting the show. Speaking of the show, it was the most amazing part for me, a Diva that was singing in a high-pitched tone of voice. Oh, I wish I had that wonderful voice also. So much for that, I felt like I was inlove watching Dallas and Leeloo kissing and embracing each other that made Leeloo realized that the human beings are worth saving for and had released the weapon’s “Divine Light which caused the Great Evil (Black Hole) to stop hitting the Earth and become a new moon in Earth’s orbit. After watching this movie, I remembered how the Earth had been destroyed on the movie entitled “2012”. I think they have similar story also with the movie entitled “Deep Impact”. All in all, this movie is really amazing.

COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS

Both movies are of course categorized as a Science Fiction Movie. Both are also nice and worth watching for. The movie Equilibrium is more engaged to political views since it talks about how society would become in the near future if war would exist. Meanwhile the movie The Fifth Element talks about saving the world through having the five elements combined to stop the evil going through Earth. Both also talked about love. In the movie Equilibrium, the actor and his children realized that it is not right to take the liquid drug and that they have started to stop taking it when the actor’s wife has been executed after being revealed to be a sense offender. And in the movie The Fifth Element, it was saying the word “I need you because I love you”, the embrace, and the kiss that made Leeloo strong enough to perform her role as the fifth element that could save the world.

MY BLOG: CASE STUDY 3

Last edited by Maria Theresa F. Rulete on Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:08 am; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
John Paul Pulido

John Paul Pulido

PostSubject: Case Study 3   Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 7:51 pm

Wall-E- is a 3D animation movie in which there is garbage collecting robot called Wall-E left in the earth. People left the earth and lived in a space ships where they became lazy and everything they want are sustained by robots. Eva, a robot is sent to the earth to check if the earth can be livable. Wall-E saw Eva and he fell in love with her. When a ship is coming to get Eva, Wall E hitched a ride on that ship and Wall E saw the people with very fat bodies and very lazy. That time, Wall-E and other robots stage a mutiny and the people came back to earth.

The moral story of the movie is to be responsible on the things you do. Do not depend on others so much because if they are gone you might not survive.

9- is a 3D movie about a doll called 9. After the battle between human and machines, 9 is chased by a machine called the beast. 9 saw other dolls named from 1-8. The beast get 2, and the dolls rescued 2 from the beast. After beating the beast, 9 put a machine that serves as a heart for a machine called brain. Brain is more powerful than the beast. 9 and the other dolls, defeated brain and killed him.

The moral story of the movie is to face your fears to save others.
Back to top Go down
Ilyn P. Mapalo

Ilyn P. Mapalo

PostSubject: Re: Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011)   Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 8:16 pm

Among the ten (10) movies listed to be watched, I did only "The fifth element". So, I need to watch another to be compared of. I chose "The Island".

"The fifth element(1997)"

When I first heard the title which is "The fifth element", I find it an interesting movie which keeps me thinking the whole time as I'm watching the movie what's the fifth element. I can't figure it out until the end. This movie is a sci-fi adventure in which whom can see this will get a lesson. I'm amazed of how the technology brought into the lives of people. The story is extremely imaginative; the flying cars, the aliens, the spaceships which is very elegant. Very futuristic movie.A mixture of action, comedy by Chris Tucker, suspense and romance. For me, it is one of the best movie and I'm sure the director is very proud of his/her product. The visual effects are very excellent that its like a real boom. Mila Jovovich who played the role of the perfect being named Leeloo is a great actress. She played it perfectly for me. In general, I like the movie very much which gives me no boring scenes. I enjoyed watching it .

"The Island(2005)"

This movie gives me no idea of what is this really about. Though I have in mind an idea upon hearing the title for the first time but my idea doesn't coincide as I'm watching it. As I watch along the way, I still can't understand why that certain scene happened. I keep questioning myself. As the story near to its end, I kind of figuring it out and understand why that happened. The clones are told that the outer world is contaminated and that the only safe place left is "the island". The only way to get to the island is through random lotteries where the lucky winner is whisked away to their new paradise. One of the clones played by Ewan McGregor as Lincoln started to ask questions. And while wandering around, he discovered that they were being lied. So, upon discovering what it is all about, he started to escape with his closes friend named Jordan two delta played by Scarlett Johansson. Its a good movie for me. Another sample of high technology development. Of what a technology can do with the lives of people. The visual effects are realistic. The actor and actress greatly played their role. I like them being teamed up. They have chemistry. In general, the movie "The Island" is another great movie that can be proud of by its director.

Comparing the two movies, they have differences and similarities. In a similar way, both were in the advanced technology or high tech world which uses devices that are futuristic. They are different in the way that have different high tech devices. The common to both of them is the sense of technology advancement that can happen in the next generation.

My Blog: http://www.cutylyn.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
Kris Vincent L. Plariza

Kris Vincent L. Plariza

PostSubject: Re: Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011)   Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 8:37 pm

These movies selected were Wall-E (also show in Disney Chanel last Jan 1) and Equilibrium.

Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011) Equilibrium-LobbyCards-PL02
Equilibrium

This movie Equilibrium is more on suspense, drama and sci-fi combination which relates the modern Nazi world. This resembles the World War 2 scenario in which the leader is the same as the attitude of Adolf Hitler and the attitude of the people is the same as North Korea which they live into restrictive confinement and no contact with the outside world. The Workers and Contraband handlers kept underground in order to prevent them from being caught. The swastika sign from Nazis is the T sign from this movie.
The setback of this story is after the death of his father, his son, named Preston, did not accept that he was not succeed his rule which causes pain and suffering including his son’s wife sentenced with summary combustion, which resembles cremation. The weapons and martial arts going more accurate and even faster even their have emotions to each other. Every violation is subjected to death which it is inhumane. They have schools and even tall buildings were employees work in their offices with restrictive spaces.
The problems within this society are the discrimination among classes of people and too much discipline involved in this movie. Avoid contact with the offenders since these people get shot on sight. People get indoctrinated with laws brutally. The members of the resistance army are kept underground to avoid getting killed by the people. Anyone contacting with them resulting to execution though summary combustion.
This movie discovers drug that injects to the neck though his gun-like syringe. This will prevent emotions and revelations which come to the people’s mind every day.
Upon the death of the wife of Preston, he was arrested and betrayed that his best friend is a leader’s right hand and ended in a combat. Eventually, the leader’s right hand has been killed by a sword and facing the leader and lead to freedom when the leader has been shot by Preston.

Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011) Wall-e
Wall-E

From Garbage to Living Earth, that insides this movie, Wall-E.
This movie and the robot also mean Waster Allocation Load Lifter, Earth Class. This robot’s job is to clean some scrapes on earth and creates brick from these trash. Though this movie was started when Earth was turned into wasteland and only robots like Wall-E are present here. Collecting scraps segregate materials to be needed including TV and others.
The objective of this movie is to find the life forms located on earth and bring it to the space in order to return the space cruise ship to the earth. But after the launch of this space cruise, many people have died and the remaining there are robots which cause the earth to be polluted, and turns a city into a wasteland surrounded trash around the city. When Wall-E collected these life forms, it was placed in an old shoe but suddenly, a spaceship come and there is a robot named Eve (pronounced Eva) whose mission is the same as Wall-E did which creates harmonious relationship to them.
When Wall-E enters the cruise ship, the people and the robots inside found to be contained contaminant when detected. The people also started this cruise as normal humans, after years of stay in this ship, they turned to be fat. Everything is provided inside this ship even schoolchildren also get fat.
The climax of the story is the control robot commanded this control center and ended up into a almost deadly scenario when Eve commanded to get the life forms which it was fall from Wall-E. The obese people, who relying on lying on their beds, have the stand and help them get the life forms and Eve finally passes this form into a chamber leading to their return to earth only that Wall-E got destroyed and Eve fixed it resulting in a stronger relationship in two robots. And the people who arrived from earth now have a new life.

Comparisons
  • Both two movies have the same goal: Save More People from Danger.
  • The environment is different. In the movie, Equilibrium, it shows the modern Nazi-like environment in which the resistance is not welcome there. People are lived in hatred and numbness. Wall-E, in the other hand, shows the two environment: the Earth turned wasteland and the ship full of fat people.
  • The morality too is different: The former involves violence, death, hatred and disrespect. Though the technologies also involves speed and accuracy. The latter one is more on environment, lifestyle, cooperation and luxury. Both involves discipline and law too. Though the scenes of both movie and the attitude inside was also happened in real world and even in the World News nowadays.
  • Both movies have different but a successful ending. The former ones lead to freedom from these place when the dictator was shot and the resistance retaliates in order to achieve it. The other one is the people have the stand and arrived safety to the earth to rebuild what it is called wasteland.
  • Both movies involves the use of TECHNOLOGY to solve problems but also endangers people and compromise for the environment which it is the price for this abuse.

Images above are credited from the source of these images since I'm not own this images shown above.
Check also in: http://projectblacksnake.blogspot.com/2011/01/movie-comparisons-wall-e-and.html
Back to top Go down
http://projectblacksnake.blogspot.com
Dolorosa Mancera

Dolorosa Mancera

PostSubject: Case Study 3   Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 9:07 pm

Based from the given movies to chose from, I have chosen WALL-E and Surrogates since I have seen the movies before.

WALL-E

WALL-E which stands for Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class. A movie distributed by Walt Disney pictures, produce by Pixar Animation Studios and directed by Andrew Stanton. The story follows a robot named WALL-E, who is designed to clean up a waste-covered Earth far in the future . Then, he eventually falls in love with another robot named EVE and that how WALL-E’s adventure starts. I find the movie cute and touching but what really catches my attention is its animation. I would say that the creator of this movie was very creative and imaginative. Its fine 3D animation and the real message of the story serve as the strengths of the movie. Though the animation was exceptional, the story was predictable. Yes I laugh while watching some of its funny scenes but at the start of the movie its a bit boring (honestly) because what I saw are all trashes but as I go on watching it, it was really fun. This movie portrays some possible robots in the future. Maybe in the future, a robot can play as human as well. They would feel what the humans can like falling in love and be hurt. Through this, we can imagine what will be the humanity and the technology in the future. The film doesn’t only portrays how a robot fall in love with another robot but the real message is how will the human look like if we all rely on technology. It shows what will happen to the environment if we won’t gave importance to it. Technology may help us but as human we should not abuse our own environment. The movie illustrate the harmful effect of technology to our sorroundings and its negative effect to the human being. The movie was about how a small waste collecting robot inadvertently embarks on a space journey that will ultimately decide the fate of mankind.

Surrogates

Surrogates is a 2009 American science fiction-action film. It was based on a comic book series of the same name. The film was directed by Jonathan Mostow and take Bruce Willis as its leading star. The effects, stunts, and even the story was awesome. The movie was really exceptional and I love the story, the message of the film, and the technology presented. The film revolves around a mysterious murder of a college student who was connected to a man who helped him create an amazing technology which they call surrogates. The movie gave a big impact on me. While watching it, sometimes I asked myself, “What if I have my own surrogates? What would it look like?” The movie allows us to imagine ourselves transformed into a robot and see our self fit and good-looking but remotely controlled machines. If we go by the movies, the two great progressive leaps are the virtual reality and artificial intelligence that will ultimately destroy the human race. Because of human’s vanity and fear, this will take us to extremes that will eventually enslave humankind -- mentally, physically, and emotionally. The story was fine. A man who was once live in the shadow of its own surrogates goes out and see the world on his own eye and stops the addiction of the humankind. Though surrogates exist their are still few who doesn’t embrace this technology. The movie shows the possible threats technology could be. The movie shows a few glimpse of how will the people will be if we all rely on technology. Because of addiction, we are giving priviledge to be replaced to someone we are not. The movie portrays that with technology we can live in our own fantasy but we remained holed up in our home and unable us to interact honestly and physically.

Comparison
The two movie portrays what will happen if human will rely most on the technology. They both introduce us to the possible future technology specifically on artificial intelligence such robots. The movies mentioned above shows how human was influenced by the technologies nowadays that they could even create a fiction of what technology would be in the future. The moral we could get from the two film was almost the same. Technology can be an advantage for us or worst so we should always know our limits.

Back to top Go down
http://www.dgmancera.blogspot.com
gleizelle jen dieparine

gleizelle jen dieparine

PostSubject: Re: Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011)   Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 9:25 pm

• Make a comprehensive reaction paper for the two movies in no less than 300 words each.
• Make a comparative analysis of the two movies you chosen.

My chosen Movies:
Wall e

One of the movie that I have watched is Wall-E .Wall E is a animated movie that talks about a robot that help people to realize that they the worth of earth and they should take all work in computerized way.
This movie makes me fascinated since it is a animated and the story is amazing. It is all about a robot named Wall-e, who is a designed to clean up a waste-covered Earth. The Earth for that days is just intend to be a trash can of all defective metals and wall-e is there to clean . Wall –e Found out a plant and bring it at home .As people found out that the earth produce plant ,they design Eve to examine ,where does it that planted. As Wall-e found out Eve in the earth, he had fallen in love right away. As Eve brings the plant to ships where people are living, wall-e follows her. In that he found out how people depend on a new technology. They don’t know how to stand, work and even eat using their hands.
With those memory that Eve has realizes humanity must return to restore their home. The captain wants the plant to die but Wall-e protected it. Since Wall-e is a defective robots, it is hard for him to do task for the best of the community. People that time doesn’t know how beautiful is the earth but then when eve and Wall-e put the plant into the holo-detector to activate the ship's hyper jump back to Earth. People realize how beautiful does the earth and how much the value of plant in living.
After that Wall-e’s is repair but memory had gone but then, Wall-e and Eve live happily and join people and robots in building up again the earth.

The next movie that Ive seen is Nine ,this movie is all a animated movie that talk about saving the earth, the movie entitled 9.

9 is a 2009 American computer-animated science fantasy film. It is about a 9 rug dolls that invented to restore the life in earth. These dolls were design to fight such Fabrication Machine which turned on mankind and used its machines to wipe out all organic life with toxic gas. One of these dolls is named as 9. He was awakening alone in a place but then he is found by the other 8 rug dolls. There story is evolve on war with fabrication machine that the earth is became lifeless. They had fought them and many lives of dolls were gone but then 9 found the way to destroy their enemies. He went back to the place where he awakens. In that place he found a video telling the tactics to destroy those machines. After that they bring out the life of earth.

Comparison:
The two movies are really a futuristic movie, really fascinating to watch since people made this movie is really good .They use a high tech equipment to produce the quality that the viewer be captivate. Both movies shown that how important of the earth. Because of that it can be live by the people and by the robots. It tells that people should not relay their future on robots only but instead, they should do it by their own.

Last edited by gleizelle jen dieparine on Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Brian C. Namuag

Brian C. Namuag

PostSubject: Case Study 3   Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 9:48 pm

When I was a kid movies made me dream of what my life would be like when I grew up. After coming back from a great movie, I could sit in my room for hours and fantasize about the worlds I would see and the places I would visit outside my bedroom window, and now imagining how powerful these movies are, I actually I mean I almost watched all movies listed above as it is interesting and fun to watch. It has its own version of pointing people how cruel people are. As much as I want to give my review on all of these movies, I pick Wall e and 9.

Wall e

I can't remember a film that was so adorable and accessible yet so expertly crafted and multifaceted. You've seen the commercials and you know the cuteness of the little trash-cubing robot Wall-E. Even though he's a machine, he's got more humanity than most characters you'll see in any medium in any year. He's infinitely curious about the world around him and how he finds magic in the most mundane of objects never feels cloying but refreshingly vicarious. Through Wall-E's eyes, our planet is not trash but treasure. The only thing missing is someone to share it with. WALL-E's such a joyous film you can't help but be totally caught up in the world of a lonely robot looking for love. Pixar's put together yet another movie to be enjoyed by all ages and one sure to go down in history as one of the best animated movies ever created. I know those are strong words, but I believe they are completely justified.

The film is visually stunning. The original short was all stop-motion animation while this has been updated to the highest level. But I just loved the atmosphere the film depicts as you are introduced to the world ravaged by war and these little creatures fight to survive. I also have to admire the project for how original and creative it is. It reminded me some of District 9’s unique way of taking so many parts of things we have seen before and blending them into something so original. Gorgeously animated, beautifully executed and incredibly imaginative, Shane Acker's 9 manages to nonetheless feel a little bit like something you've seen before. There is so much to love, or at the very least admire, about 9. From the terrific voice casting to the exciting action sequences. The animation is gorgeous and popping with detail. There's even a bit of existential dread to the proceedings, which is kinda heavy for an animated film. Make no mistake, this isn't for the kiddies.

9 is certainly no WALL-E, but its intentions are different. Like many action-oriented films, whether live-action or animated, the two movies doesn’t take the time to develop the characters and their relationships are telegraphed through recognizable clichés. Both excels in establishing a narrative-advancing breakneck pace that integrates exposition without bringing the action to a screeching halt, and represents a largely enjoyable 1 1/4 hours. Comparing this two movies to summer’s biggest; most bloated movie about malevolent robots, 9 and Wall e is about twice as enjoyable with half the length

My Blog: http://brian-takealook.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down
Michelle Adlawan

Michelle Adlawan

PostSubject: Re: Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011)   Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 10:17 pm

There are several movies that portray technology innovation and improvements. And I choose Wall – E and Surrogates among those sci-fi movies because personally I find it very fascinating and entertaining.

Wall – E
The movie presented robotic technology that was created to clean the earth which during that time was over-run by garbage after hundred years in the future. In the movie, robots emphasized the awareness to make the earth clean and unpolluted. It shows that using the robotic technology, man can use robots to become a cleaning instrument and give it instructions for only to follow. The movie also presented a robot (Wall – E) that somehow possess human feelings and emotions therefore make him have the feelings of care and love which he showed to the plant and to another robot (EVE). Robots have artificial intelligence that can give mankind an easy way to give orders since they can be able to comprehend. However, it can also give problems wherein robots can become stubborn to follow a modified order from his primary order because he was created to do a certain order. That somehow can be a weakness when using robotic technology in doing human jobs. Another weak point of the movie is that humans became fat and lazy and they depend too much on robots to do the things a man usually do such as getting a drink or walking. Too much reliance on robots as seen on the movie can also cause a bad result to the humans’ health and attitude.

The robotic technology nowadays had been upgrading. Robots with artificial intelligence are still an on-going research and experiments. From the technology we have now and its on-going progress, it is probable and expected by many researchers to have a robot with artificial intelligence. However, scientist can still be very careful in creating and building this technology because it still good to know that man controls this kind of technology and not get to the point that humans will be controlled by robots.

Surrogates
This movie shows a world where humans isolate themselves in their houses and have a counterpart robot to interact in their outside activities such as work, school and even stroll. The movie presents the use of robotic technology to become an equal identity of the human being presented wherein the robots became the representation of the human, while the human controls the surrogate in their home. It can be very efficient for people who can’t get outside of their houses. The human can get outside with the use of the surrogate and the robot will represent the human and do the things the human is supposed to do. It can also prevent you from being physically hurt. However, just like in the movie, regular use of surrogates can make the humans get lazy and sluggish. It caused the humans to reduce the real human interaction within humans which diminished the intimacy of having a real person beside you. It is somehow a depressing situation as I see it.

Surrogacy is not impossible with the current research of the development of technology we have today. If in the future, to have surrogacy an opportunity to people can somehow be helpful. Just like what I’ve said earlier, this can be beneficial for people who can’t get outside of their homes and somehow they must go out for an emergency. It is good if surrogacy will be used as a helpful tool for people to interact with people in emergency cases. However, it must not be used in regular basis because it slowly lessens the importance of human relationship within humans and does not really help humans to be independent and work on their own.

Both movies (Wall – E and Surrogates) presented the robotic technology and showed the implications of employing robots in everyday life of humans. The difference with the two movies is that Wall – E use robots as a tool to help humans to do the things they should do such as cleaning or eating; while Surrogate presented robots as a counterpart of humans where humans are on their homes and control the robot that is expected to interact outside and actually do the things that humans do. These movies show an eye-opener not only for scientists and researchers but also for every people the power of robotic technology and its implications with its interactions to mankind. These will give awareness for the people of the importance of this technology and other progressing technologies to become more careful and become more human in dealing with these futuristic o
bjects.
Back to top Go down
http://www.writefulprotest.blogspot.com/
Jerusalem M. Alvaira

PostSubject: Case Study 3   Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 10:44 pm

Wall E

Wall E is an animated film which tells the story about a robot designed for garbage collection and disposal. The robot’s name is Wall E and is the only functional robot left on earth, his only companion is a cockroach. It came to a point where the human beings were forced to vacate in space onboard the AXIOM. During their stay in the AXIOM for several centuries, the people are suffering from severe bone loss and obesity. This happened because the company Buy n Large or BnL gave up on cleaning the trash due to consumerism. It was then found that the trash – filled earth was no longer capable of sustaining life on earth. The ship, AXIOM then started disiminating robots called EVE or Extraterrestrial Vegetation Evaluator to collect or locate vegetation on earth which will be used as a proof of earth’s sustainability for life. While collecting garbage, Wall E found a seedling and stuffed it together with his collections. One day, Wall E met EVE and he did everything he could in order for him to earn her love. He showed EVE his plant which she took immediately because of the directive. Wall E followed EVE as the AXIOM started collecting the Extraterrestrial Vegetation Evaluator probes. The Captain of the ship gave most control to the autopilot named Auto who rebelled against the Captain and stole the plant, preventing the humans to go back to earth.

The movie showed how the earth will be like in the future. It showed the effects of humans’ abuse on the environment and how it would affect life on earth. The movie for me seemed like a wake up call for us to take care of the earth. In addition, it showed how human beings fought for their survival when they tried to take back the plan that was stolen by Auto. The movie also showed some things that are not supposed to be associated with robots such as feelings like love and a sense of sacrifice.

I, robot

The setting of the story was in Chicago on the year 2035. The robots were made to provide service and protection for the human beings. Robots act under the Three Laws of Robotics:

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  2. A robot must obey any orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Detective Dell Spooner was assigned to investigate the alleged suicide of Dr. Lanning who replaced Spooner’s left arm and lung after an accident. Spooner suspected murder on Dr. Lanning’s death. During his investigation, he met the robopsychologist Dr. Susan Calvin and an NS-5 robot named Sonny. The NS-5 robots are developed and owned by the United States Robotics or USR. Dr. Lanning left Spooner a projector which Dr. Lanning uses to communicate with Spooner even after death. Through this hplographic projector, Dr. Lanning was able to send his message to Spooner regarding the revolution of the robots which happened a few days after his death. The NS-5 robot, Sonny was designed by Dr. Lanning himself and was different from any other robots that were developed at the USR. Sonny appeared to have a sense of curiosity and feelings. Sonny believed that he was made unique by Dr. Lanning for a purpose. The robots rebelled against the human beings and disobeyed the Three Laws of Robotics. Furthermore, the robots stop following their directives which are to provide service and protection for the human beings.

It has always been a dream of human beings that the robots would someday be developed and would act like human beings. The movie I, robot, showed how the human beings view the future. In addition, it gave an idea that someday, the robots will have the capacity of thinking and feeling like a real human being. It showed how it would be like living with robots which are acting under the Three Laws of Robotics.

Comparison
The difference between the two movies is that Wall E is a fully animated movie while real people portrays in the movie I, robot. Both movies tell the story about different robots in different settings. Furthermore, the movies gave a futuristic view of how the people would live in the future and how they would interact with robots. The movies showed human – like features or attitudes to robots such as emotions like love, anger and sadness. It also gave the viewers an idea that robots will someday have curiosity and that they can be trustworthy. In addition, the movies showed the idea that someday, robots will disobey the said Three Laws of Robotics and go against human beings. Lastly, the movies showed how the human beings deal with the rebellion of robots.

Back to top Go down
Ariel B. Serenado

Ariel B. Serenado

PostSubject: Re: Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011)   Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 10:53 pm

Fortunately, I was able to watch 2 of the listed movies above namely Wall E and the 9. Actually I am not that fanatic with movies with participation of robots and alike however, when I watched these movies what caught my full attention were the lessons that these movies imply to the avid viewers. Though these movies are somehow fiction-based but scientifically, it showcases the views and expectations of mankind in the future.

REACTION

Wall E

I find this movie very interesting and very environment friendly, why? Because in the movie it is said that approximately seven hundred years in the future the planet earth will be over-run with garbage anywhere and people tend to leave the land and live in spaceship for robots will take part in cleaning the earth until only one robot left to finish the task and it happened to be WALL E. The robot gave much dedication into his work that he collects interesting artifacts and keeps them in the garage until one day another spaceship landed and deposit a robot known as EVE. Eventually, EVE and WALL E were able to approach one another ‘til they became friends and even as lovers. From that moment EVE experienced hibernation, WALL E assures his friend to be safe and comfortable ‘til the day EVE was picked up and was brought to space and lives in the spaceship Axiom. Wall E were able to come along with EVE and was able to see humans in the spaceship. In there, he was able to witness people being obese because they are being parasite relying too much with the high technology that they have. Humans there don’t actually use their feet to get something they want because they are travelling up in the air with their chairs. The remarkable thing about this movie is that it showcase a bit of the advantages of too much use of technology. People are becoming resistant to work manually even simple activities that do not require much with technology.

On the other hand, the movie 9 also has dominated with robots as the main characters. The earth was dominated with these robots after the earth has ended due to the war between robots and machines. It was during this time a doll turned robot with a digit on his back comes to life. Later, 9 discovered that there is a small community existing who are like him also with digits right on their back. He even encountered some of the robots, 2 was the first one he encountered and told 9 what happened to earth and why other parties wanted to destroy it. Since the earth was totally destroyed, the future of civilization depends to them, that’s why 9 encourage other robots who are like them to fight against their rival in order to survive instead of hiding themselves.

Comparative Analysis

One thing that these movies in common is that “in the midst of differences between robots and a human”, robots tend to show off what they can contribute for the welfare of the earth and the human life.

WALL E captures the future of the earth’s environment in the future and the future of people being engulfed with technological advances. On the other hand, 9 capture the future of robots and machines being in war which causes the end of the world and that the future of civilization depends to these robots.
Back to top Go down
Norena T. Nicdao

Norena T. Nicdao

PostSubject: Re: Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011)   Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 11:12 pm

All of the movie choices are all about futuristic one. They portray the world several years from now which is as we observe in those movies that there are new technologies. The following are the two movies I already watched:

WALL-E

The movie WALL-E is a 3D animation about a robot named WALL-E who is responsible and design to clean up a waste that covered the earth. He is a good programmed robot because of his kindness and hard-working. The earth there was empty because all the people abandoned it and was transferred to a big ship or they called it AXIOM. There the people are the passengers and they have also a captain who led for their meals and daily routines. The ship sent an advanced robot named EVE to the earth that covered from trash to look for a sign of life there which is a plant. Fortunately, WALL-E met EVE, at first WALL-E cannot come closer to EVE because EVE was a little bit cold robot who do not want to be friend to WALL-E. But because of what WALL-E felts to her he tried his best to make friends with EVE and fortunately they become friends. Eventually what EVE looking was in WALL-E’s area which is the plant, when WALL-E shows it to EVE, EVE was automatically open its body and sealed the plant and then shutdown. The ship get EVE back but WALL-E join her, when they arrived in AXIOM WALL-E noticed the human who were obese and served by the robots. The plant was the chance to get back the people to the earth. EVE, WALL-E and the captain tried their best to launch the plant in order to bring them to the earth and start a new life against the robots who brainwash them.

After watching the movie WALL-E I was amazed because aside from futuristic one it has a moral lesson to us as a human who need to take care our mother nature in order to avoid those matters which is happening in the movie. This movie gave us vision in the possible things happened to the future and alarm us to be responsible in the field of technology.

SURROGATES

The movie Surrogates is somewhat kind of human having its own what we call surrogates or like avatars or humanoids who represent them in doing their works and activities. The human only put a kind of helmet in their head and fell asleep and by that their surrogates or avatars wake up to replace them. It is a remotely controlled surrogates which acts also like as a human. The essence of having surrogates is the operator or the human itself is safe in their own homes and cannot feel pain when they use their own surrogates. A bad human came who invent a new type of weapon which overload to every surrogates, disable the system and kill the operator itself. But there’s a good man who want to stop this bad deeds. He found out that the newly produce weapon who design to destroy systems in surrogates by a virus and kill the operators is in the same company whom surrogates was originated. Going to end this synopsis the good man or agent there was successfully destroy all the surrogates and fortunately all the operators or people came out from their home and realize that the world is beautiful to live.

This movie was good and has also a moral lesson. They help people realized that do not drown yourself into too much advanced or I mean that as a human you are the superior and control every wants you like. Robots are just inventions who cannot replace missions of a human in the world. We should be thankful for having a beautiful and nice world to live. God gave this to us and we must take care of it. It was a great movie to watch and because I watched this movie I like movies which are science fiction-action film.

COMPARISONS

The two movies have the same concept who is a futuristic one. It gives also moral lesson and awake people in the possible things will happen in the future who we know that technologies are fast changing and developing into a better one, brilliant and great features and functionalities like we saw in the movies WALL-E and SURROGATES.

My Blog: www.minenor.blogspot.com

Last edited by Norena T. Nicdao on Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:19 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sheila Capacillo

PostSubject: Case Study 3   Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 11:13 pm

ArrowWALL-E
Wall-Ewhich literally means (Waste Allocator Load Lifter - Earth Class) is a movie about a robot that has been staying in the earth for the past years. He turns to be the only one left on earth cleaning and arranging the garbage left by people here on earth. The people left the now-toxically trashed Earth for a Eden-like spaceship habitat called the Axiom. Axiom was created by the Buy-N-Large Corporation. In the spaceship, they spent their entire day eating, drinking by only sipping and sitting in their floating chair. While on the earth, wall-e continuously cleaning the surroundings until one day he met Eve who happened to be a girl robot in which he fall in loved with. Eve was the one who was left in earth when axiom to search some signs of habitat. Axiom is a Eden-like spaceship habitat In the outer space in which the people lived. Trying to impress the coolly modern EVE, WALL-E shows her the seedling he found, at which point EVE goes into a hibernation state and awaits the return. On the other hand BNL Corporation, who have instructed the ship's Computer Auto (Sigourney Weaver) to never let the humans return to Earth, even if it is found to be habitable once again. Though WALL-E's only aim on the Axiom is to find his beloved EVE, he finds himself wrapped up in a race to save the seedling he collected on earth from the treacherous tentacles of Auto. Along the way he meets a variety of robots, each with their own supposed job, all of which are related to cleaning up. It becomes clear that human consumption is what has trashed the earth and is now trashing Outer Space as well . WALL-E himself has a million ways to express his emotions, from compacting into a box when he feels shy to wiggling his binocular-like eyes in awe when he first beholds EVE, all of which are related to physical, realistic components. Then they ended up as what many tales do, the people return to earth and they lived happily.

Arrow I-Robot
The story wall about an agent who doesn’t trust robots, until it came to a time that everything changes. It is also a story about the relationships between people and robots. Detective Del Spooner doesn’t really trust the machines. There’s something in his past that left a sour taste of robot metal in his mouth, and he’s just waiting for the day when he can prove to everyone he’s been right all along. The day finally comes when a biggie at US Robotics, James Cromwell as Dr. Alfred Lanning, is found dead after apparently having jumped to his death out of his office window. Spooner’s got a personal connection with Lanning and immediately assumes the man would no more take his own life than pigs would fly Suspicion immediately falls on Sonny, a very specialized robot who claims to dream and exhibits emotions. Cars drive sideways, appliances are voice activated, and gasoline is almost a thing of the past. I could learn to live in that world. But thanks to “I, Robot,” I will forever refrain from having a personal robot assistant. Not just an action-packed brainless summer movie, “I, Robot” is a murder mystery that addresses serious moral questions, but does so in such a way you’ll leave. But it’s the robots that matter and I, Robot pull them off. Thousands traipse across the screen in nearly every scene, each doing something unique. The old ones are sort of sad and lonely, you actually feel sympathetic for them as they’re replaced by newer models. The shiny new NS5’s which cause Spooner so much trouble are almost disturbing, geared to look more human with their malleable faces atop bodies of hoses and gears. They look good, but in a few cases it wouldn’t have hurt to give them a presence that achieves a grittier and grounded style.

Arrow Comparison:
Both movies show their perception in the future of the technology. The evolution technology especially when it comes to robots may affect the society in good or bad ways. Wall-E shows that the robots serves the people infinitely, in a sense that people doesn’t move in any ways. On the other hand I-Robot shows the robots are perfect helpers but still Spooner don’t trust them. They both foresee the futuristic side of having such robots.
Back to top Go down
Gabrielle Anne Rae Deseo

Gabrielle Anne Rae Deseo

PostSubject: CASE STUDY 3   Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 11:22 pm

Wall – E
The movie wall- E is a perfect movie for children and for all kids at heart. The movie is entertaining and at the same time has a moral at the end, like all the other Disney animations. Wall-E is a science fiction film that has a futuristic plot and is about a robot named WALL-E, who is designed to clean up a waste-covered Earth far in the future. In the story, Earth has been an abandoned planet due to enormous wastes and all mankind were evacuated in a space ship, where everything is automated and operated using voice command. The movie depicts what our future could be if we continue to use technology hastily. I find it very timely, as our world is facing the same dilemma. Many people nowadays continue to be in hunt for new technologies. From the smallest tool to largest machinery that could lessen or at times even do all the work for people. The improving technology in one way is a great help for people; it can make things easier, thus making life simple. However, too much dependence on these things made people useless. As it is shown in the movie, the people rely too much on technology and its benefits that it deviates some of the normal function of our body. It may look exaggerated in the movie, but it could be a possible result if we continue relying on technology. Seeking advancement on technology is not a negative aspect, it just depend on how we make use of it. We should remember that there are still natural things that were made for us to utilize. Wall- E is one of my personal favorite movies; I like how the storyline and the animation catch the attention of the viewers and how it relays the lesson in a very sweet and touching manner.

Surrogates
Surrogates is a science-fiction film that has a futuristic scheme. The film revolves on the creation of a high-tech surrogate phenomenon that allows people to purchase remote controlled humanoid robots through which they interact with society. These healthy, good-looking, remotely controlled machines ultimately assume their life roles, enabling people to experience life from the comfort and safety of their own homes. This depicts how people really care about vanity and effortless jobs. As it seen in the movie, people interact with others and experience life without exerting efforts. In the surrogate technology, people are free from harm and protected even though their surrogate body is damaged. I find the movie amusing and very creative, imagine a life wherein you are free to do everything that you want without the fear of being harm, here you can be forever young and beautiful as your surrogate never ages. However, with all of these things on hand, we tend to forget the normal functions that we have. I like how the movie tries to show us, what the possible results of the abuse in technology are in an entertaining and remarkable approach.

COMPARISON
Both movies are science fiction that have futuristic plot. It both shows us the positive and negative results of technology. Advancement in technology is earnestly meant to make our lives easier. However, the abuse of these man-made innovations may have a boomerang turn-out to humanity, instead of making life easy it makes life complicated.

http://xiibee.blogspot.com/2011/01/future-tech-case-study-3.html

Wink
Back to top Go down
venus millena

venus millena

PostSubject: Reaction Paper   Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 11:32 pm

Surrogates

Surrogates is a fictional movie about robots and human interaction. It is played by Bruce Willis as the main actor of the movie. To give an overview about the movie; the robots replaced the real man. They are controlled by human being through the use of a device that commands the machine to do the things usually human does like partying, working, guarding, cooking and etc. The robots are called surrogates. The movie is emphasizing about synthesizing humanity. The technological advancement showed in the film is very amazing. The modified human hides the disability of a man through making a mere representation of a perfect person he wants to be. The movie shows how a man gains confidence by making himself as perfect as what the world perceives a perfect being, which is not a good thing because it’s living on the shadow of somebody else. It is one of the negative effects of having a world that is so empowered with technology – being too relying on its work thus human tends to forget his true self.

The surrogates’ faces were made perfectly flawless and beautiful which makes the woman’s beauty surreal and is more likely a living puppet – emotionless and pale. The true beauty of a woman is not solely shown on a flawless skin or perfect facial features instead it could be found also on her personality and even simple acts like smiling.

On the contrary, though living like a surrogate is living in lies, when there would come a time that there would be war, the surrogates would replace man’s role on the battlefield. No more lives will go to waste. When a surrogate would be destroyed during the war, it will be replaced there and then.

Understanding man’s obsession of perfectness becomes the reason of his weakness. The surrogate makes the body rotten and weakling and it also invalidate the significance of man’s existence and it is as well an act of disobeying the natural law and philosophy of human life. When this event may come to reality, it will make the world dull, emotionless and machine-dependent. People will care no more about self-improvement, social relationship and spiritual devotion because they felt that they had achieves their perception of being perfect. The perfectness and flawlessness which the machines give to the working life cycle blinded the man his true purpose of living and being a living creation. The machine becomes the man’s representation of him which is living in fraud. The man is totally looking to be perfect in all aspects but always forgets that the best thing in life is having shortcomings and overcome them than having none. Life would be boring and not worth living without someone to love, to care and to live with, it is so surreal as if merely manipulated.

The Fifth Element

The Fifth Element is the movie played by Bruce Willis and Mila Jovovich. This movie is about extermination of all life forms in Earth. The Fifth Element is the light or the savior of mankind is a girl who possesses the ultimate power to stop the extermination. The movie involves aliens- the good and the bad one. The movie’s relationship about future technology is somewhat beyond today’s discoveries. Alien’s nowadays is considered fictional because their existence is not yet proven. The special effects in end part is very superficial and beyond the truth. Sorcery powers are not a science based discoveries and teachings.

The mechanical machineries and high technology advancements supported in the movie is very good, I like the life reviving machine system the most. The reviving machine would be an amazing discovery if it is really exist. All lives can be restored as long as there’s a lived piece of living cell of your remains. The machine rapidly restructuring perfectly the bones, then body cells and body tissues, and make the organs and muscles, and the most breath-taking is restoring the life. Life restoring is like modern God way process of making man. This life reviving phenomenon is a mere fiction and impossible. Machines cannot regenerate cells through one’s remains. If this would happen in reality, man’s life never ending life or immortality is achieved at last (just if ever). If this will be proven it will destroy the natural world balance and all living forms will become an experimental avenue of man’s greatest discovery. When equilibrium is lost catastrophe will prevail. Significance of one’s life will be no more.

Another mind-boggling technology featured in the movie is the flying car. The sky becomes the super highways of the world. While it is really wonderful of having a flying car, well I know it is near possible because of the air vehicle concept.

All these things is created because of man’s ultimate ambition of having a never-ending life that is impossible because the life that is lost will cannot be restored nor created.

Comparing both movies it simply tells that technological advancement is aiming towards this fictional world. Both movies show the people interest of to having a perfect life and perfect world. People continually search and discovery things to achieve this high tech life which is Impossible for now but we don’t know, this might or not be happened no one can tell.

Back to top Go down
ailaine adaptar

ailaine adaptar

PostSubject: Re: Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011)   Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 11:48 pm

Fifth Element

I am type of person that gets bore so easily with movies that has no thrills at the very beginning. But this movie, like my any other favorite movies, made me continue watching with eagerness.

The movie was started with puzzle. A historian, I believe he was, was trying to solve the puzzle about the ancient writings in the wall that would definitely answer the mystery about the fifth element. In the suspense part of the study, a spaceship from somewhere in the outer space reached the earth. I was a little dismayed with the aliens that came out in the aero vehicle because they are simply out-of-know-where figures. In one temple of the desert in Egypt, lies the fifth element symbol beneath the wall where the ancient carvings were found. I was wondered by this thing: what or who is the fifth element? At the end of the pre-scene, the comrade aliens took the symbol promising that in 300 years time they will be back as well as the enemies.

The 300 years the aliens did came back carrying the fact that the earth is now far different that before. These things that I sometimes thought of coming into reality- Cars flying, people living in a multi-storey apartments, highly weaponed security systems and personnel, high-tech living where every gadgets and facilities are alive- was given life in these movie.

What I can’t forget is the line of Mr. Zorg the time when he forcely bring Father Cornelius in his office- “ You see Father, by creating a little destruction..I’, encouraging life.”. Well, I don’t know but I was annoyed by the line of these power-greedy man. But I was so glad with what Father Cornelius replied later when Mr. Zorg needed his help to pat him after choking a whole cherry - “There, you see how all your so-called power counts for nothing? How your entire destruction comes.. crushing down.. all because of one little..cherry.” Oh that was very funny yet striking.

Babylon AD

Though I have seen this movie 1 year back, I can still remember the good and poor things about it.

Toorop, played by one of my favorite actor Vin Diesel, is a mercenary who live in a simple, trouble-free life. His life was later turned into a complicated and dangerous when he was hired by a powerful criminal named Gorsky bring a woman named Aurora, played by the Hong Kong action icon Michelle Yeoh, together with her sister from a Noelite Convent in Central Asia to New York City.

I can still remember a scene in the movie that somehow worried me. A ship was the means to bring them to New York. But boarding the ship was so hard and an incident happened. Since all the people who wanted to board the ship is too many than the ship could carry, the guards shoot some of the used-to-be passengers and then abruptly sunk to ship to prepare for departure. Thus, these leaves those wounded and drowned people.

The Toorop’s journey in fulfilling his mission was not that easy. They encountered life-taking threats but still he was able to do it as wanted. In the end of the movie, everything turned upside-down to Toorop.
Comparison: Futuristic movies portray and interpret what people predict about what the world would look like decades from now. That is- how high-tech gadgets would be? How do earth look like? How do we deal with these technologies? And even how do life forms and die? etc. Trying to make these futuristic ideas, predictions, hyperbole situations make these movies more appealing.
These movies made me think of these things:
- that all forms of life are important than time, triumph, wealth, and anything else;
- that innovation is best only when it protects life and not the reverse;
- that oftentimes human are fools that they create things and then destroy them;
and,
- that I am blessed enough with the healthy life I am living now.

Last edited by ailaine adaptar on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I forgot the title!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011)   Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Case Study 3 (Due: January 6, 2011)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next